Tuesday, August 22, 2006

And it begins again...

Well, the Fall 2006 semester at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln officially started yesterday, the 21st of August. This is technically the beginning of my 9th year of college...how the time flies. Some of my friends have been training for triathalons and marathons and I'm sure they would be happy if I referred to them as triathletes. But me, I'm the exception to the rule. I have been training to be a Decademian, and I am almost there.

The funny thing is that every time a semester starts (this would be my 18th) I get the same feeling of excitement and always look forward to learning more and more about the magnificent world of math modeling. However, this is the first time I have been enrolled in a class and had it cancelled because too few students enrolled. I suppose is was bound to happen eventually, but I didn't think I was getting into the knitty-gritty of biotechnology, or least to such a level that MS or undergrads would not want to learn the magnificence of the various biosynthetic pathways within s. cerevisiae. The coolest part is how those pathways impact ethanol yield and more importantly what compounds are lost from the fermentation broth/mash that are value added co-products that I am interested in extracting from the left overs.

I have another first time experience this semester and that is helping to write/develop a class, which is going under the working title "Unit Operations for Biofuel production". I have always said that I would go to industry and help Uncle Archie to conquer the world with my R&D abilities, but this will test my feelings on teaching. Hopefully, I do not get too attached to teaching, god forbid I have to puss out and give up on world domination by "Unlocking Nature's Potential".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But if you do like creating classes and teaching, and if you like the idea of teaching college kids, then you can go to school when you graduate! Add another two to ten years on to your education! Postpone the real world for that much longer, as I have.

--Dee, UNL graduate student and student in higher ed (undergrad, masters, now PhD) for nine years and counting!